totally right benoit, excellent point...although i do personally know
some people who lay it down in the studio onto tape with little to no
digital in the mix, but that's besides the point. the important
question is whether the difference is significant, which comes down to
psychoacoustics....depending on how your brain communicates with your
ears, it may or may not be discernible. we're already at a point where
digital recording is technically superior, when you look at statistics
and numbers etc -- but psychoacoustically, it's fundamentally
different, like the difference between polyester and silk, or
something. actually i think we are probably beyond that, just not at
the consumer level. i was thinking about how digital recordings are
"pixellated" at the most microscopic level -- and how that might be
compared to grains of sand as well. but glass is made of sand. we are
getting to the point, or have already gotten to the point, where
digital recordings can contain so much absolutely minute detail that
the "pixels" can not be discerned even psychoacoustically, the
recording is "glass".

but this is veering off-track into analog v digital technical nonsense.

i see the view that digital _files_ are now a complete solution to
music, making former physical formats obsolete, as a philosophical
question dealing with the importance of physical reality and
experience (in this case, disregarding it).

shake wrote me something that sums it up succinctly

"if you never knew what the real things was or were, it is almost
impossible to explain."

the access to music that digital files allow and all that is great
when viewed narrowly -- valuing the music only and disregarding
context. but it is inarguably a deeper experience which allows deeper
understanding to hold a record/tape/cd in your hands than to have a
digital file of it. the object may only be connected to the artist by
degrees of separation, but it still contains actual insight into the
artist/music and tells a story just by virtue of existing in the
physical world. digital files tell no story (yet),  it is pure audio
and nothing else but a file extension, file creation date, and stuff
like that, all of which are not "solid", they can manipulated,
lost...it ain't real. we had this discussion on c-b-s, and a
professional digital archiver chimed in to support the power of the
real, and that giving digital files more attributes, a way to record
their virtual existence, is the next step towards giving them any sort
of the power and cultural relevance that objects in the real world
have.