By all means play uncompressed WAV files.

No matter what you play, if you care at all you'll get more out of a
system if you spend a little more for proper Digital to Analog
conversion.  I've been using an RME Hammerfall DSP for several years
now.  I found some TRS 1/4" to Male XLR cables, so I'm running
balanced all the way to the house mixer.  That seems to make a the
difference in sound -- I think I can even hear the difference DI boxes
make.  And the RME Multiface in general sounds so much clearer in the
high end than built-in laptop sound or M-Audio outboard sound
interfaces.

I only got two responses from people with the courage to try and
distinguish between 16 bit uncompressed audio and 320KBS MP3.  Now it
might be that it was an unfair test, but both people who took the
challenge guessed wrong -- the MP3 sample was first.  The one other
response I got was 'I can't hear any difference whatsoever.'  I wasn't
an objective listener, and was biased toward the 'no difference'
position, but I listened to that sample on my studio monitors and
headphones for a long time, and I couldn't hear any difference -- even
after I actually extracted the difference between the files and
amplified it so I could hear it.

I guess all I'm saying is that I don't think properly encoded MP3
files sound noticeably different than uncompressed audio. I also think
that big systems -- no matter how expensive or carefully configured--
aren't going to make it easier to hear those differences.  I don't
think that any objective test of those hypotheses would prove
otherwise.

On the other hand, there's an art and craft to making music sound
really good, and everyone has their own formula that's part voodoo.  I
get all excited about running balanced to the PA, but if you did a
blind test with decent DI boxes and properly matched levels, I might
not be able to tell the difference either.