Hey Peter, just a quick response to a couple of things:

* Don't really know what you mean by 3G and 4G languages. If memory serves
me, this was more of a marketing term from the 1980s or so than any kind of
real technical distinction.

* No. You do not need classes. Modules do not require OOP, OO came out of
earlier work and embraced modules and extended them. I'm just talking about
module-level scope and data hiding, not OO.  (I'm being far less ambitious
than you give me credit for!) Sadly, 4D's components don't really fill this
role well and are, for most of us, pretty hard to work with.