Here is a followup for what I did.
I created and Applescript to remove the quarantine attribute from the
downloaded client:

set theDocument to choose file with prompt "Select the 4D Client application:"
set filepath to POSIX path of theDocument
do shell script "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine \"" & filepath & "\""

I saved it as an Application to make it easy to run the fix. It will
open a dialog and you simply select the 4D Client app.

I did end up signing my 4D Client apps - but that would be another
thread. To sign a 4D Client app you need to pay the $99/year to apple
to get a Developer ID.

Take care,

dave