On Aug 30, 2009, at 10:34 PM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:

On Sun Aug 30 14:37:29 EDT 2009, rminn...@gmail.com wrote:
One way to make this kind of interesting is to address how you'd do a
reasonable zeroconf effort given that you need to boot 1m+ machines.
We've booted 4400*250 VMs on a machine at sandia, and, let me tell
you, it was a pain. It is amusing to watch the programs traverse
million line /etc/hosts file -- for a while.

how does this apply to plan 9?  ndb already provides
for indexed databases.  but i have not tried this with
millions of entries.

I think there are a few issues beyond will it scale - of course with 128k nodes scaling is a baseline prereq for us. On BG we have a segmented network to deal with -- but it's likely you'll want some form of hierarchy regardless.

I have done much with dynamic service registry using DNS in plan 9 - maybe it's easy and just not well documented.

Then there's issue of locality - finding the registered service that is closest to you.

Then there is load balancing - finding the closest service whch isn't heavily loaded.

Then there is dealing with reliability, security, and so forth and so on.