From: John Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] abc compliant software

Phil Taylor writes:
| Laurie wrote:
|
| >For consistency, terminate all the fields in the header with !  Line ends
| >are then logically optional, but omitting them should be deprecated (on
the
| >grounds of readability for humans).
|
| It would have been nice to have something like this from the start, but
| introducing it now would pose all kinds of compatibility nproblems.

Probably true. But there might be a better choice.  As far as I know,
the  semicolon  isn't  yet  used  at  all  in  abc,  and  this is the
conventional separator char in all sorts of programming languages. Is
there  any reason we shouldn't adopt ';' as the terminator for header
lines and music staffs?  It should be pretty easy to implement.

Lots of programming languages have a basic syntax of "one line is one
command",  but  then  allow semicolons to put several commands on one
line, and backslashes to put one command  on  several  lines.   There
doesn't  seem to be any obvious reason we couldn't extend abc to work
the same way, and it wouldn't break any existing abc.

Looking farther ahead, maybe we could persuade  developers  to  slyly
start  sneaking semicolons into the abc whenever tunes are written or
copied, and then after a while almost all the existing abc would have
been silently converted.  Then we could decree the newline an ignored
char and we'd be free of the line-wrap problems.
To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html