Wendy said
> ...So  even  if  we  adopt  the
> abc2win approach to staff termination (not a bad idea), we don't even
> start to solve the problems with line wrapping.

But hang on.  We're not trying to solve all the problems in the world.  Just
the problems in ABC line wrapping.  So how about this:

Include some mark at the beginning of the piece so that we know what's
coming up - say by terminating the X: line with !  Then the rule would be to
ignore all line ends until we see !! to mark the end of the piece.  That
could be in the form !! or !
! or even
!
I'm in two minds as to whether a space (as opposed to a linend should be
allowed between.  It's sometimes nice to be able to include a blank line in
the printed music somehow.

For consistency, terminate all the fields in the header with !  Line ends
are then logically optional, but omitting them should be deprecated (on the
grounds of readability for humans).

X:23!
T:Bang!
K:C
#!"C
#dim"[^CEG_
B^c]!
!
Oops - sorry - the e-mail fiend seems to have mangled that.  It should have
been
X:23!
T:Bang!
K:C#!
"C#dim"[^CEG_B^c]!!

Laurie Griffiths
http://www.musements.co.uk/muse
where you will find music notation software for PCs.