On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Richard Robinson said -
>
> >Consider the possibility that a separately-maintained ABC library,
> >open-source & bug-fixed by anybody that cares to take part, linked into
> >your front-end code, might make your life easier too ?
> >
> >I'm sorry, as a non-VB programmer I don't know how VB links to a C
> >library, but I imagine it must be possible by now.
>
> I expect that would be possible but would only give me a passive involvement
> without the opportunity to take part in bug fixing or adding my own
> innovations.

Adding innovations would involve discussion, certainly. Is that a bad
thing ? I thought you were in favour of having standards and against
people innovating off their own bat ? I'd have thought an open-source
function library would facilitate this rather than hinder it.

As for bug-fixing - if you're using functions out of a library in your own
code, you will be the first to discover any bugs. They'll bite you, in
your development, before they bite any users of the finally-developed
result. You have the source so you can see exactly what's going on, know
just how that code is interacting with your own, be able to discuss the
situation with the library maintainers and find the best solution. And so
will anybody else making use of that library, so they'll get the benefit
of having bugs fixed that you've spotted, and vice versa. What could be
_less_ passive or opportunity-denying than that ?

> That's more like it!  Open documentation would be of much more general use
> than open source.

Open documentation _is_ useful, yes. Very. That's how ABC has got to where
it is; people are free to read how it's supposed to work, so they can go
off and write code to make it happen like that. Code's useful too. In
theory, someone could just read the documentation, and then write their
abc in pencil on the back of an envelope, but in practice most of us do
use some software from time to time.

> Laura Conrad said -
>
> >Several other people are non-voting members by virtue of being on  the
> >mailing list by invitation of the members.
> >
> >I would be willing to resign in favor of someone with more enthusiasm
> >for the project than I have at the moment.
>
> What on earth gives you the right to turn abc into an exclusive club?

We could all do with a standard. This is an attempt to reach one. Laura's
trying to help that. It seems unfair and wrong and counterproductive to
put people down for trying to do things for us.

--
Richard Robinson