Richard Robinson said -

>Consider the possibility that a separately-maintained ABC library,
>open-source & bug-fixed by anybody that cares to take part, linked into
>your front-end code, might make your life easier too ?
>
>I'm sorry, as a non-VB programmer I don't know how VB links to a C
>library, but I imagine it must be possible by now.

I expect that would be possible but would only give me a passive involvement without the opportunity to take part in bug fixing or adding my own innovations.  The point I am making is that I don't think involvement in abc development should be synonymous with involvement in the open-source project.  There are other, equally legitimate, strands of development.

Wendy Galovich said -

>Has anyone attempted to map the existing and/or proposed standards to a set
>of use cases? Would such a non-platform-specific documentation method be of
>any value in helping developers using a variety of platforms and development
>tools to sort through the details?

That's more like it!  Open documentation would be of much more general use than open source.

Laura Conrad said -

>Several other people are non-voting members by virtue of being on  the
>mailing list by invitation of the members.
>
>I would be willing to resign in favor of someone with more enthusiasm
>for the project than I have at the moment.

What on earth gives you the right to turn abc into an exclusive club?  This standards committee doesn't even have any achievements to its name to justify its existence and probably never will.  Disband it now.  Find a way of involving ALL the people who wish to contribute not just the ones you approve of.  (Although, by the sound of it, you don't seem to approve of some of the people who ARE on the committee.)

Bryan Creer