Bert Van Vreckem said -

>I don't see how an open source abclib can have any influence on, let
>alone be a threat for these projects. What exactly do you mean?
>
>> I don't see abc as being defined by any software implementation but to
>> be a standard (or, perhaps, a protocol would be better) for the exchange
>> of musical information regardless of the use to which that information
>> is put.
>
>I heartily agree.

and Laura Conrad said -

>I'm not proposing outlawing anything.  I write personal computer
>programs myself, and they're very useful to me.  I was just saying
>what I would need to see to get excited about a new implementation.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood Laura's meaning here.  The first part of her posting discussed the problems of reaching agreement between different developers on the standards committee.  I thought she was offering this approach as the solution to that problem.  I am concerned that there is a danger of thinking that the sourceforge project IS abc.  When it was launched, I seem to recall that one of its initial tasks was identified as formalising and developing the abc standard.  I do not think that any one development path should usurp that task; it is the property of all - developers and users alike.

Richard Robinson said -

>You're going to start explaining to us why open-source is wrong, now ?

Why on earth should I do that?  I am merely pointing out that open-source is one of several approaches to development all of which are perfectly legitimate.  Please restrict your criticisms to what I've actually said rather than speculating on what I might say and condemning me for that.

>Do you intend to outlaw bugfixing ?

No, but I don't intend to devote much time to bug fixing abc2ps or its clones any more than I'd expect James Allwright to bugfix BarFly or Phil Taylor to bugfix abc2nwc (bug reports always welcome of course).

>Or collaboration ?

As the sorry tale of the standards committee shows, collaboration on abc is sadly lacking and I would like to see a great deal more.  I just don't want to see collaboration on one particular software implemetation being seen as collaboration on abc to the exclusion of other developments.

>Brian, what's being talked about here is a library. You know ? A set of
>useful functions that can be included in other peoples' programs, right ?
>The only possible use for a library is to _help_ people to write their own
>programs.  Given a suitable "open-source" license, of course ...

Rather than talking down to me, perhaps you would like to offer me some advice on how as a Windows/Visual Basic programmer I can participate in this process.

Bryan Creer