    John> BTW, where does the 1.6 standard explicitly forbid this final :|?   I
    John> don't  seem  to  see anything at all on the topic, only the statement
    John> that :| marks the end of a repeated section.  This would  imply  that
    John> the  above  notation  is legal, since that bar line *is* the end of a
    John> repeated section.

No, you never repeat the alternates.  (Except for your :|1,3 example.)

    John> (Some people have ranted about the practice of omitting |: initially,
    John> but  this  is a losing battle.  You're fighting too much tradition in
    John> this case.)

But it might not be a bad idea for printing programs to provide an
option to not print an initial |:.  This would allow ABC coders to
write balanced repeat indicators, but have them print the way most
printed music does it.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574