Bert Van Vreckem writes:
| Jeff Bigler wrote:
| > I would find it particularly useful to have an explicit linebreak
| > command that would override the "continue all line ends (append '\')"
| > option to the abc2ps-like programs.  Usually, I want the program to just
| > decide where to put the line breaks, with a few rare exceptions.
|
| Well, personally I want to be in charge of linebreaks myself. I play a
| lot of folk dance music which consist of phrases of 8 bars. When
| linebreaks are every 4 or 8 bars, this makes the score more readable.

Yeah; I do this a lot, too. Funny thing:  A couple of years ago, when
I  posted  an  explanation like this, I got royally flamed by several
people who though this was one of the  stupidest  ideas  they'd  ever
heard.   I was a bit surprised to find that some people actually have
emotional reactions to such things.

Anyway, I think that dance musicians usually really like  having  the
phrases  aligned  this  way,  but  most other musicians don't see the
benefit (and some vehemently dislike it).

I've occasionally wondered whether Jack Campin gets  similar  flames.
His  abc  is  very nicely aligned vertically, making the structure of
the music really obvious.  This just has to offend some people ...