We currently have this notation for voice overlay (although this is first
I'd ever heard of it).

A2 E2 G2 A2|A B c d e f g a & A A A A A A A A & A G F E D C B, A,|]

John Chambers explained was functionally equivalent to doing this.

[V:1] A2 E2 G2 A2 | A B c d e f g  a |]
[V:2]             | A A A A A A A  A |]
[V:3]             | A G F E D C B, A,|]

He went on, in a later email, to suggest that, because they are actually
transient voices that, rather than have to continue to notate the two mostly
empty voices throughout a piece that an an alternate notation could be used
and he suggested.

[V:1] | A2 E2 G2 A2 | A B c d e f g  a | g2 f2 e2 a2 |]
[V:1+]|             | A A A A A A A  A |
[V:1+]|             | A G F E D C B, A,|

In a parallel track, Richard Robinson proposed this variant of the first to
improve readability, where presumably the second voices were also to be
considered transient for that bar.

A2 E2 G2 A2 |[v:1] A B c d e f g a [v:2] A A A A A A A A [v:3] A G F E D C
B, A,|]

OK.  I liked John's idea of transient voices as he expressed them: [V:1+].
While using separate lines for each transient voice certainly improves
readability, it is much harder to write.  I really like the compactness of
the original.

So, how about combining the two ideas?

A2 E2 G2 A2 |[V:1] A B c d e f g a [V:1+] A A A A A A A A [V:1+] A G F E D C
B, A,|]

Or use Richard's lower case idea [v:1+].