>> Voice overlay
>> The & operator may be used to temporarily overlay several voices
>> within one measure. The & operator separates these voices from
>> each other.
> My take on it is that the & operator sets the time point
> of the music back to the previous bar line, and the notes
> which follow it form a temporary voice in parallel with
> the preceding one.  I suspect that this should only be used
> to add one complete bar's worth of music for each &.

Assuming you would only ever want to do this in music with barlines?
Really?  Surely there are monophonic chants where voices split for a
brief imitative Alleuia or Amen, for example?  Or unmeasured guitar
music? - I'd expect guitar and lute pieces to see the largest use of
this feature.

Why not some explicit start point? - paralleling the not-anchored-to-
a-barline repeat syntax, use [& maybe?  And perhaps a terminator to
help sanity-checker utilities work out that the same duration had been
provided for each voice, maybe ]& ?

I don't see why it needs to be unreadable; just overlap the voices
vertically.  Using the example given, removing barlines and adding
a bit on the end:

 A2 E2 G2 A2 [&[& A B c d e f g  a  &\
                  A A A A A A A  A  &\
                  A G F E D C B, A, ]& D2 E2 A2 ...

(I'm assuming each & needs a separate matching explicitly stated
start point - it also allows for a bit more generality as they
needn't coincide).