On 26 Mar 2004, at 16:23, Richard Robinson wrote:

There's a small error in the example files on your
webpage: the DOCTYPE tags refer to local file:// URLS,
which won't work on other computers.

That's be the "file:/c:/Program Files/MusicXML/partwise.dtd" bit ? It
doesn't work on mine, either. But it doesn't seem to stop things doing
what they should - perhaps because I have a permanent net onnection so
the external DTD reference can be used. Did it stop you being abe to
use/render the files ? My processor also seems able to process without
validation, which seems to stop it trying to use either (so the complaints
go away). I did say the converter I'm using isn't perfect. But from the

You haven't actually included the external DTD reference. In place of
the "file:/c:/Program Files/MusicXML/partwise.dtd" you should use
"http://www.musicxml.org/dtds/partwise.dtd";, then it should work for anybody
who has an internet connection. The original file:// specification will
only work if you happen to have a disk named c with the appropriate file
on it.

Tried it on my Mac with three different browsers:

Internet Explorer objected to that file reference; if I download the file and
change it as above, IE downloads all the DTDs, but then just displays the source.

Safari gave this, so it's clearly trying:

the Female Rake abc2xml 2004-03-23 Richard Robinson <URL:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/contact.html> Jig England 960 2 major 6 8 G 2 A 4 480 eighth D 5 480 eighth begin

etc.

iCab opened the source.

You can, of course download the source and import it with BarFly, but I noticed
a snag here too. Safari downloads the file as untyped, and BarFly won't recognise
it as a text file. Curiously, if you change the file extension to ".txt" it
works fine. (One more little thing to fix.)

Phil Taylor