Please forgive me if this is a "bottom post" group. Just tell me and I'll follow the rules. I belong to lots of groups with differing opinions on that one!

I guess this is a good place to jump in. I'm a reasonably good abc user, but bow to Phil, Ulf, John and lot of others any time. However I do have a fairly large background in attempts to write music notation in text characters. I wrote a PhD dissertation a looooong time ago that spent a chapter on the methods then in use. So, I do have some thoughts about Mike's proposal. I've tried to excerpt the comments below and add mine. I hope they are useful.