I understood that percussion notation is a rather complex subject with
no real standard. Here is my 2c.

For percussion I was thinking of extending the decorations semantics to
avoind introducing an entirely new syntax.

For example:

K: clef=perc stafflines=3 middle=e
+ClosedHiHat+ +xhead+ _e _e +Cowbell+ +thead+ ^e z | _e _e z ^e

This would map "_e" to the "closed hi-hat" sound in the GM mapping and
the "Cow bell" sound to "^e".
The "_e" will be printed with an "x" head and the "^e" with a triangle head.

The "perc" key will indicate that the decorations apply to each of the
following notes.

In conjunction with the overlay symbol (&) this would lead to
interesting notations:

K: clef=perc
+ClosedHiHat+  +xhead+   a/4  a/4 z/   a  &\
+OpenHiHat+    +cxhead+  f/       z/   f  &\
+SplashCymbal+ +tbhead+  z/       d    z/

Alternatively one could introduce an extended command like:

%%abc-percussion ClosedHiHat=_e,xhead SplashCymbal=^g,chead

to map each MIDI percussion sound to a note (for the position on the
staff) and to a notehead.

Of course we should also add decorations like +SoftStick+, +brush+,
+atedge+, ... to help players.

And what about specific notation for instruments like djembe (see
http://www.alternativeculture.com/music/rhythm3.htm#notation)

And we should ask ourselves if the "%%midi drum" command would'nt be enough!

I would like to implement what does most sense to musicians.
Drummers/percussionists, anyone?

Remo D.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM