Somebody (Atte?) was using a separate voice for chord symbols - worked well visually in the abc.

wil

Granis - Richard wrote:
How about a utility program or three that could hide, remove or realign
what is wanted.
That might allow those who want the whole enchilada  to have it and
those who want
the traditional basics to have it (or anything in between).  If each new
release of the
standard were required to be downward compatible to lower releases,
there would
be no worry for anyone simply wanting notes, notes and chords, etc.

I do like the concept of the new field for non-melody items although it
seems like it
might be as complex as the w: symbol.  If there were a line that
contained beats like
| o o o o | o o o o |  <--  ,more or fewer o o beats as needed,
it might be possible to line everything up under those where you want
them played.
I still remember the idea of automatically having lyrics line up where
they are wanted.
The same might work for chords, !..! and other items.

Phil Taylor wrote:

That's a very important point, and one which I've been arguing for
years.  Even the addition of guitar chords to the melody line
makes it harder to read, and once you also add lots of inline
fields and bits of text between exclamation marks, readability
goes out of the window.  I've always resisted the !..! format,
and BarFly still doesn't accept it.

In BarFly you can define a single letter (in the range H..Z) to
mean any of the symbols that the program understands.  Single
letters cause much less visual interference than text between
exclamation marks, but they're still not ideal.  What is really
needed is a new field similar to w:, which would be followed
by a line of symbols to be aligned to the notes in the melody
line above.  That way the melody line could be kept clean

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM