Frank Nordberg escreveu:
> Remo D. wrote:
[...]
>> to avoind introducing an entirely new syntax.
[...]
> If we need even more notehead alternatives, perhaps double sharps and
>  double flats could be used?

I think so, but this would be hard-coded in the notation software.

With abcm2ps, one can yet create new note heads as decorations of type
+head-xxx+.

[...]
>> K: clef=perc stafflines=3 middle=e +ClosedHiHat+ +xhead+ _e _e
>> +Cowbell+ +thead+ ^e z | _e _e z ^e
>

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to mix midi playback commands into the
> body of the tune this way. It'll seriously reduce human readability
> and also hamper backwards compatibility. Also, I'm not convinced it's
>  a good idea to rely on instrument names for the mapping - there are
> far too many alternative spellings for each. We have to specify midi
> note numbers.

I figure that with I: field inline one can achieve the same result:

[I:setdrum 42] +head-x+ _e _e [I:setdurm 56] +head-t+ ^e z | _e _e z ^e

Here, the assumed syntax of the command setdrum is:

%%setdrum <num>
Apply the drum sound <num> to next notes:
I: setdrum 42 % Closed Hi Hat

(or)

%%setdrum <ABC-note>=<num>
Set drum sound <num> to <ABC-note>:
I: setdrum F=36 % Bass Drum 1

The generical form would be: [I:setmidinote C=57], to work like
abcMIDI's %%MIDI C 57, but resetting only the notes on the current voice.

[...]
>> And we should ask ourselves if the "%%midi drum" command would'nt
>> be enough!
>

> I wish it was, but no such luck.

%%MIDI drum is only for accompaniment patterns, not for writting out an
entire (possibly complex) percussion line nor for printing.

>> I would like to implement what does most sense to musicians.
>> Drummers/percussionists, anyone?
>

> That's not really an issue. The only thing we need to add for human
> percussionists is alternative noteheads, and it seems abcm2ps already
>  has that covered.

The main issue is how to represent percussion music in a short way,
compatible for *both* MIDI simulation and sheet music printing.

Best wishes,

--
Hudson Lacerda <http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/hfmlacerda/>
*Não deixe seu voto sumir! http://www.votoseguro.org/

Promoção Yahoo! Acesso Grátis: a cada hora navegada você acumula cupons e
concorre a mais de 500 prêmios! Participe! http://yahoo.fbiz.com.br/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM