Let me summarize the ideas we discussed to notate percussion withing ABC:

 1) Use implict note heads (a la abcm2ps) based on accidentals
    and extend it to ^^ and __ to include more note heads or allow
    different instruments to share the same notehead.

instruments.

 3) Use decorations as in "+AcousticSnare+ +head-x+ e" to explicitly
    associate percussions to notes. Using "&" to overlay voices
    one could create a sort of tablature for drums. (We should
    explore abctab2ps syntax to find opportunities there).

 4) Use 2) and I: to achieve the same result as 3):
     [I:setdrum 38] +head-x+ e

 5) Add "instr" and "head" to the V: syntax. For example:

    X:1
    V:1 clef=perc instr=HigTom        head=wsquare   name=drums
    V:2 clef=perc instr=LowTom        head=square    merge
    V:3 clef=perc instr=CrashCymbal1  head=x         merge
    K:perc
    [V:1]   z   ^e/ ^e/  z/    ^e      z/
    [V:2]   z2          _e/    _e/ _e/ z/
    [V:3]  g2           z3/2          g/

  6) Adopt an implicit drumkit like this one:
     http://home.iprimus.com.au/brucemcintyre/percussion-notation.png
     or the one suggested in this message:
     http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/forum/331.htm

Did I miss anything?

I personally don't like the idea of having an implicit, hard-coded
association as in 1) or 6) for two reasons: it's not intuitive and I
fear different appplications will end up with different implementations.

As for 2), I'm in favour of adding a "setdrum" instructions to create
percussions mapping. Again I would add an explicit note head
association. It's plenty of note heads out there, these are the ones
that I've seen used more often (names are provisional!):

    "head-plus"
    "head-x"
    "head-xcircle"
    "head-square"
    "head-wsquare" (white square)
    "head-triangle"
    "head-wtriangle" (white triangle)
    "head-diamond"
    "head-wdiamond" (white diamond)

Note that we could assume 1) as a "default" so that noteheads can also
be left unspecified:

^c head-x  _c head-xcircle =c head-plus ^^c head-triangle __c head-diamond

About instrument names, I still think that names are better than numbers
and both should be allowed. Spelling it's not a big issue to me, GM
names are consitent almost everywhere and it's very easy to recognize
"OpenHiHat" or "openhihat" or "open-hi-hat" or "Open_HiHat", ... I would
only rule out the usage of spaces in names (but still, we could use
quotes!).

In other words [I:setdrum ^e=38] and [I:setdrum ^e=AcousticSnare] should
both be allowed.

My preference goes to 3) (use of decorations), it seems easier to me to
read than 4).

Option 5) could be a good compromise and only requires a change to the
V: syntax.

Any comment?

Remo D.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM