Remo D. escreveu:
>  3) Use decorations as in "+AcousticSnare+ +head-x+ e" to explicitly
>     associate percussions to notes. Using "&" to overlay voices
>     one could create a sort of tablature for drums. (We should
>     explore abctab2ps syntax to find opportunities there).

I think using "&" is a special case, for voice division.

It increases the complexity for both MIDI and print implementations
(synchronization, stems, etc.).

But one can prefer write some simultaneous sounds as *chords* also.

And, yes, we can take a review of abctab2ps syntax to sake solutions.

> I personally don't like the idea of having an implicit, hard-coded
> association as in 1) or 6) for two reasons: it's not intuitive and I
> fear different appplications will end up with different implementations.

The "hard-coded" associations should be just by default.
BTW, abcm2ps percussion note heads are not difficult to customize. One
needs only redefine the PostScript operators for they.

> In other words [I:setdrum ^e=38] and [I:setdrum ^e=AcousticSnare] should
> both be allowed.
>
> My preference goes to 3) (use of decorations), it seems easier to me to
> read than 4).

I like the simplicity of ABC, and also like the rapid editing it
permits. Once one gets the association of notes/sounds for an ABC tune,
it would not difficult to write or to read the notation. Moreover: each
percussion score you can find will set a collection of
position/notehead/symbol/instrument/sound associations.

So, even that decorations are useful for ocasional notes "out of the
map", I wouldn't like so much using decorations as the only or the main
approach, because they are verbose and can ask for the use of voice overlay.

Cheers,

--
Hudson Lacerda <http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/hfmlacerda/>
*Não deixe seu voto sumir! http://www.votoseguro.org/

Promoção Yahoo! Acesso Grátis: a cada hora navegada você
acumula cupons e concorre a mais de 500 prêmios! Participe!
http://yahoo.fbiz.com.br/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM