From: "Vamshi. G" <gvamsh...@gmail.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:28 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Tips to manage without escort?

Back on the subject.  No further comments on English language please.

I have some vision but very poor mobility, especially in new places.
I always wondered how visually challenged people walk alone with the
help of a white cane.  But most of my doubts have been wiped off
during my recent trip to Pune.

I had been to Pune to meet my  friends.  We were 5 of us with
different vision conditions.  We didn't have a permanent sighted guide
but asked for the same as and when required in different places like
hotels, resorts, pubs, shopping centers, etc.  We even played in a
water resort without asking for anyone’s help.  There were some
moments with slight risk, but no real dangers.

And then came the final situation.  I had my train back at 12 in the
night.  Raj, my friend at Pune, who himself is visually challenged,
had to take me to the railway station from his home.  We went to a
hotel, had the dinner, then to the railway station, and finally to the
right platform, all on our own, but not alone.  Then I met a stranger
with whom my ticket was booked by the agent, explained my problem to
him and boarded the train with his help.

I was surprised to see the help we were getting once we got out with
this wonderful tool in our hand.  We asked a person to help us cross
the road to reach the station, he accompanied us all the way to the
station.  We asked the way to the desired platform, again we had
someone taking us right to the over bridge.  And as I said earlier, a
total stranger helped me board the train and even gave his lower berth
in exchange of my upper one.

It was a real confidence booster for me.  And it was only after this
trip that I understood independent mobility doesn’t mean moving alone,
it means moving without a fixed sighted guide from beginning to the
end.  Now I am really motivated to use the white cane.  But I believe
in professional training.  So, once I undergo some training in
mobility, I will move on my own.

On 9/26/11, jignesh thakur <jigneshthaku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sir,
> I hope your understanding might good as your English.
> Expressions are more important then any language.
> He properly conveyed what he wanted. Now you should tell us whats your
> problem?
> Are you writing for only sake of insulting other?
>

> On 9/26/11, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj10...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Exactly.
>> English is nothing more than a medium of communication.
>>
>> On 26/09/2011, Mahesh Panicker <maheshspanic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Away from the subject, but we've discussed this before, AI is not a
>>> platform for teaching and learning english. The important thing is to
>>> be able to convey the things, not so much about grammar and spelling.
>>> Not all on this list can be so proficient in the english language.
>>> Not intented to be rude or insulting, but thought someone has to state
>>> it.
>>> best,

G. Vamshi
PH Res : +91 877-2243861