First off, I’d like to appreciate the topic as its directly related to
the lives of many of us.
As you’ve already mentioned,  getting a job with disability is a
tricky  affair, and Employers often resist employing a person with
disabilities believing they will be unable to perform their roles
and/or that it would be too expensive.
Over the centuries, we disable  people have accumulated enough scars
as society marginalizes us, silences us, attacks us, and directs us.
However, as Walt Whitman puts it in the Song of the Open Road,
“gently, but with undeniable will, we managed to divest ourselves of
the holds that would hold us.”
Empirical evidence   shows that persons with disabilities have high
performance ratings and retention rates, as well as better attendance
records than their colleagues without disabilities.
Its certainly an important point to ponder  whether this is really  a
result  of our intrinsic capabilities,  or merely  an outcome  of
sheer traditional beliefs about us in the society  amongst those
without disability.

When  it comes to performance rating,  there are many external factors
that comes into play, even with those who aren’t living with
disability.
Whether or not you like, its almost impossible to separate  those
external factors from the tasks like job appraisal and promotion,
including the corporal aspects such as gender, personality,
appearance, beauty as well as disability.

Any individual,  while rating another person, uses  many external
factors other than work performance, either deliberately or
inadvertently, where disability is one of the key aspects.
I strongly believe that the outlook of an individual regarding
disability reflects upon his/her performance rating, but at the same
time, I still say that its not unfair until it is upto the extent of
 positive discrimination.

When globalization has become a buzz word today, in the midst of our
mission, a look into our traditional culture will help us find answers
as to how we can hold our hearts open for such issues.
Generally speaking, our traditional culture exerts a positive
influence on how people with disability view themselves and how they
are viewed by the society.
Our Traditional culture cultivates communal support for the
vulnerable.  People are brought up with the notion that it is a
happiness to help others, and that there is no good deeds too small.
As a result, the people   are ready to give a helping hand to the
disabled, and this is what reflects while rating a person with
disability on the work place many a times, where persons with
disability are given greater points than  others.

I don’t count disable people as oranges amongst the apples, but you
also have to  bare in mind that its almost impossible to find two
apples with exactly same size, shape, colour and taste.
If a persons with disability is good at his/her work,  there should
definetly be some extra points for this,  keeping the fact in mind
that the road to do that outstanding work has been harder than many
colleagues working there.

While analyzing the performance for a disable indivisual, the person
giving the ratings many a times incorporates his/her understandings
about hardships,  pains and difficulty that disable person has faced
for reaching to the place she/he is, and the inspiration and respect
in his/her mind reflects on the rating table.

Personally, I see no harm in such an approach, but its important that
this should not hurt the benefits of any genuine individual.
Meaning, that such good ratings should be given only to the deserving
persons with disability, and the focus of high ratings should still be
on performance, where disability can least be a tiny  element.

Needless mentioning that the thoughts above are exclusively what I
personally believe, hence you are encouraged  to disagree.

My apologies in advance for such a big mail, I  just could not refrain
 myself from expressing on the topic.

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.
Managing director,