From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Sudhir R (NeSTIT)
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:10 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Comparing Apples with Apples

Hi folks,

Interesting to read about the  mixed experiences of visually challenged
friends from different domains.  Would like to contribute my own
experience in this matter, for whatever it is worth.  At least, someone
else can learn  from the many mistakes I made, you know.

I should say I bucked the general trend of visually challenged persons
in India, by moving out from the relative safety of the diversified
public sector company, where I was working before going blind, to a
private sector software company, after losing sight.  The reasons for
this contrarian  trend   were many, but, not topical to this discussion.

This change of domain (from engineering consultancy to software) and
sector occurred at the wrong age, viz. when I was 40.  Given the Indian
demographics, anyone above the age of 35 is at a serious disadvantage,
especially while switching industries (unless, of course,  one has the
stamp of top-notch B schools / technical institutes in one's CV.)

Disability really skewed the pitch for me when I started hunting for
another job.  In spite of a good academic record and 16 years of
cross-functional experience, the CEOs I personally called on were
politely  apologetic.  They did not have an opening for a blind guy in
their scheme of things.

The company I finally joined  after 8 months of  desperate hunt does not
profess to any pretensions of being an "equal opportunity employer", in
spite of the fact that a couple of my colleagues are hearing challenged.
And, I still am not sure why the MD of this company decided to take a
gamble with a blind guy, especially for a hot seat like business
development.

Whatever motivated the gentleman is besides the point. Suffice to say I
needed a job badly  and I got a job.  But, coming from a public sector
background and seriously disadvantaged  by disablement and reluctance to
relocate out of Kochi, I did not have any negotiating leverage and had
to accept the package offered to me.

However, in the process, I discovered that I had lost, relatively
speaking,  on seniority, designation and compensation.  My bosses and
colleagues were kind and helpful, but, they had no clue what a blind guy
was going to do as a business development manager.  Especially, since
they knew I was a greenhorn as far as IT was concerned and couldn't tell
a client apart from a server. (smile)

Now, I have been in the company for 7 years.  Thanks entirely to Divine
Grace, I have been able to prove my mettle, both on back-end activities
like prospecting, cold-calling, proposal preparation, etc and on
front-end roles like client presentations, negotiations and account
management.  It has been an amusing experience to  observe the sense of
shock and surprise of  clients when they finally discover they have been
all along talking on the phone / exchanging mails with a blind guy.
(smile)  I have also been handling assignments pertaining to my other
specializations, viz. corporate planning and training.

As my responsibilities grew, there was a correction in my seniority,
designation and compensation.  However, the software industry is more
dynamic than the manufacturing sector I had been working with, and, I
discovered, much like Alice in Wonderland, that one had to keep running
fast merely to remain at the same place.  This is an industry
characterized by attrition and lateral movement and, somehow, resources
with transfer value  tend to get better appraisals than resources
showing loyalty.  The company tends to assume that a resource with a
physical disability  is not gonna move out and this seriously hampers
competitive appraisals with respect to peers.

Finally, late last year, I had to put in my papers.  This was a genuine
move as I had come to the conclusion that the work pressure  was
beginning to affect my health and work-life balance and I had decided to
move on to teaching / training and freelance writing.  However,  the
company came out with a retention package that was quite gratifying and
I decided to continue.  Btw, I now head the Business Development Group,
a fact I  find at once ego-boosting yet quite challenging, considering
the US slowdown and European  sovereign debt crisis impacting IT
spending of client companies.

To draw conclusions from this longish auto-bio,  here's what I would
advise my younger colleagues, especially in  IT / BPO sectors :

a)  The private sector  is only bottom-line driven.  Whatever lip
service the company may pay to CSR / equal opportunity employment  is
only a brand-building exercise aimed at getting publicity.
b) Private employers tend to look at  the disabled as a cheap and loyal
source of resources.  If one does not have a negotiating leverage (such
as sterling qualifications, certifications,  technology competence, etc)
one is likely to be taken for a ride.  (Remember how it was reported on
AI a few years back that one of the leading MNC "equal opportunity
employers"  was keeping some of its disabled employees as contract
resources for long periods.
c) Having said this, private sector respects the "TINA" (There Is No
Alternative) factor of an employee.  An employee who has built up his
TINA factor well is treated fairly, whether he is disabled or not.
Building up the TINA factor is  strenuous, yes.  But, it can be a
learning experience, boosting our own self-confidence in the process.
d) Private sector is a jungle where unexpected dangers are waiting to
pounce on.  Opt for the public sector where one gets the benefits of
equity, common appraisal processes with norms for promotions and hikes,
job security, pensions etc.  Finally, this makes for better quality of
life.  However weak, one has the protection of the PWD Act, CCPD, the
Courts etc.

Sorry if my long narrative bored you.  I have been asked many times to
share my experience since  it is somewhat unique and in a functional
area (marketing) where visually challenged are not  represented and
hence this exercise.

Curious to know your views / experiences, esp in the private sector.

Thanks and rgds

R Sudhir
M: 098 472 76 126
Face Book : Sudhir R Shenoy (sudhir.ko...@gmail.com)