Don't worry. I have your number now

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Kartik Sawhney
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:34 PM
To: accessindia
Subject: [AI] Good news for blind engineering aspirants-changes in JEE Main
guidelines

Hi all,

It gives me immense pleasure to share with you that CBSE has amended its
rule for Joint Entrance Examination (main), the entrance examination for
most of the tech schools in the country (also a qualifying exam for the
IITs). Until last year, the Board allowed a non-Science scribe (from
Commerce (without Mathematics) or Humanities) stream, and that too from
class XI (two years junior to the candidate). this had several issues, most
notably that the scribe will not be familiar with the technical symbols on
the test, and hence will not be able to convey those to the candidate.

According to the information brochure for JEE Main 2014, there is no
eligibility criteria for a scribe. Moreover, the candidate can opt to bring
his/her own scribe. In case the candidate opts to use a scribe provided by
the centre superintendent of the test centre, the superintendent needs to
ensure that both the scribe and the candidate meet at least an hour before
the examination to get comfortable with each other.

Unfortunately, nothing has been done to make the diagrams on the test
accessible. Further, JEE Advanced (the entrance exam for IITs), allows a
Science student as a scribe, but from class XI. It also does not allow the
candidate to brin his/her own scribe. Despite all of this, I feel we are
close. I would urge the organisations working for the blind to take this
forward, and help future Science aspirants get the benefits of the elite
education imparted at these institutes.

The information brochures for both the exams are located on their respective
websites at http://jeemain.nic.in and http://jeeadv.iitd.ac.in.

Best,

--
-Kartik Sawhney,