Hi Srikanth,

While I agree with you for most part, I strongly feel that in
competitive exams like IIT-JEE and other entrance exams where speed is
utmost important, it's important that you've worked with the scribe
for quite sometime in advance. consider this: you are not allowed the
use of any assistive technology for scratch work, and you're trying to
solve a question in linear algebra (say calculating the inverse of a
matrix), it'll take a very long time explaining the scribe how the
inverse is to be calculated. Instead, you would probably want to walk
him through the process real quick, and since he's already worked with
you on a similar problem, he can understand what you imply. Or, maybe,
consider a question involving optical isomerism in Organic Chemistry,
you would probably want the configuration to be described in a
particular non-ambiguous way, rather than wasting your time trying to
figure out how you want your scribe to explain that to you. To curve
unfair means, it is invigilation which needs to be strengthened. Isn't
that done to curve the use of unfair means for sighted students? Then,
why not for us?

I'm aware of the situation that you've described, and it is indeed
deplorable. However, making such norms that inhibit genuine talent at
the cost of trying to ensure a fair exam is not, in my view, the best
way to go forward. Either we need to allow assistive technology to
enable the blind student to take the test independently and just rely
on the scribe to bubble the responses, or we need to provide the
candidate with a comfortable atmosphere with strong invigilation. BTW,
I, too, am totally against segregating blind students for the purposes
of taking exams.

Best,