Not mentioned, but the other HUGE advantage of AE is that you're able to
use a huge variety of equipment. The amount of stuff out there that you can
do AE with vs GPON is like a 90:1 ratio. I have an AE setup using a
datacenter-grade Arista 7148 capable of 1/10GbE to the customer and it was
a very affordable switch to purchase.

You can use all sorts of ex-datacenter equipment and things that were
designed for corporate LAN aggregation and leaf/spline architecture,
repurposed for AE residential. With GPON you have maybe ten realistic
choices of equipment vendors.