You would think that since they bothered coming up with excuses why the
current standard isn't good enough, they could at least come up with a
number based on their imagined need, instead of just coming up with a
random number with no basis in anything other than "100/100 sounds good".

It's not that hard... according to them, Zoom needs 3.8mbps upload per
1080p stream (and obviously everybody in the house absolutely needs to be
using 1080p), so lets say a lot of households are running 5 simultaneous
Zoom sessions (which I'm guessing is actually fairly rare)... that's
19Mbps, so throw in some overhead and make it, say 25Mbps. That's
realistically going to be way more upload bandwidth than the vast majority
of people ever need, so why exactly do we need to make the standard four
times that?

I guess it's one way to only fund fiber, which probably isn't a terrible
idea if we're going to insist on throwing tax payer money away on such
projects.