I've seen physical audits to confirm that when we submitted for reimbursement for 100 base stations that we actually deployed 100 base stations.  There are financial audits of course, and they'll harp on any perceived irregularity until they're satisfied. Sometimes the physical auditor wants to see some examples of deployed CPE.

In NY Connect and NY Broadband, the project plans had to be reviewed by an outside engineering firm chosen by NY State.  That firm was supposed to assess the technical feasibility of the project.  For wireless coverage we had to tell the firm how we projected coverage and they attempted to duplicate it and confirm that it wasn't made up.  But if they were told "the system has xxDb of gain and coverage is projected to -90RSSi because this spec sheet here says the CPE will connect at -90" then that's what they'll go by to verify that you projected it accurately.  If anybody just drew a circle they would not have made it past the feasibility study.

I never saw or heard of a "testing node" to verify coverage in the field, but if they could raise it to the CPE height used in the projection and measure down to the signal shown on the map, then it would have been totally fine.

If you had a reasonable projection of coverage and a reasonable projection of capacity then you'd pass feasibility study.  The issue is I don't think anybody put the coverage and capacity side by side and said "you can't connect -xx RSSI and ALSO sell yy Mbps.  It's one or the other".

.....see I think the difference is you're assuming there's graft or corruption when the reality is that it's just an idiot operator who's being managed by an idiot regulator.  The system will catch the truly incompetent people, but if the operator is marginally competent and also can talk a good game then he can get funded. It might help if he also plays golf with a senator, but that's not strictly a requirement (nobody I was involved with did that level of hobnobbing).  See most people on this list are here saying "100Mbps disqualifies me as a WISP from getting this funding." But right now, there's some clown saying, "I can do 100Mbps with my CBRS LTE."   And he's RIGHT as long as he's careful about how many subs per base station and what SNR's he's connecting, but he'll be WRONG if he promises to do that for every census block out in the woods.  In spite of being wrong, he can produce documents from the vendor and empirical testing to "prove" he's right.  He's only wrong when all the pieces come together.

-Adam