There's too much emphasis on Mbps, but my guess is the political decision makers observe that cable and fiber companies selling 100M+ generate fewer complaints from constituents than wireless operators offering 25Mbps.

<rant mode>

I'm not going to name any names, but I've seen a few grant funded wireless networks who qualified for funding by "offering" 25mbps that they couldn't actually deliver consistently.  You can do 25Mbps if load isn't too high, SNR is good enough, not too many inefficient low mod stations, etc.  If the design is built with maximal capacity in mind, then you can do 25Mbps for sure, but to qualify for funding they typically have to hit every household in a geographic area so they focus too heavily on coverage rather than capacity.  They'll get projections showing coverage down to a -80 RSSI when really they couldn't deliver that 25Mbps consistently unless everybody was getting -65 or better.  (I saw one using -90 for projecting coverage in a grant application, and ALSO using excessively generous system gains in their link budget based on recommendations from some fool doing tech support at the VAR.)

There's reasoning motivated by the requirements of the funding. They're told they HAVE to offer 25mbps AND they HAVE to cover 100% of the people in a given area, and they end up stretching to try to make both things true when they really can't ever both be true at the same time.  They'll never admit it. They've made it true in their own minds so they can talk to the regulators about it and feel that they aren't lying.  End result is a funded network with poor performance and constituents bitching at somebody about it. The politician getting bitched at doesn't understand the root cause and couldn't prequalify applicants on any other criteria so they just increase the required Mbps.

I think usually these guys aren't really liars, they're just ignorant.  They listen to a vendor telling them a product can deliver eleventy thousand Mbps without understanding the qualifying conditions.  They'll test with one or two CPE with perfect signal to "prove" that it's true.  I think they're honestly surprised when they call me in to troubleshoot and I have to tell them that there's not much wrong with their network and it just can't do what they're trying to do.  There's really nothing to fix except go to each CPE location and try to make them all 30 SNR.

If you have to qualify for a grant by offering 100Mbps to EVERY household in EVERY eligible census block in an entire town, then you are going to have to do it with fiber or coax.  There will still be people trying it with wireless, but they'll only be the most egregious liars and fools.  Eventually the government agencies will stop being technology agnostic and just say "no fixed wireless".

<disclaimer>I do know some things, but I don't actually know what motivates this specific decisions.  That part is conjecture.</disclaimer>
</rant mode>