That's where having sync built-in is nice.

http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Josh Baird via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:27:11 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Power up the tower?

If the radios did have SFPs, wouldn't you still need to provide sync (which
would mean additional cables)?

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Mark Radabaugh via Af < af@afmug.com > wrote:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.commscope.com%2FDocs%2FHELIAX_FFDirect_Brochure_BR-107083.pdf&ei=uhQoVLffMIWayQSu5YCoBA&usg=AFQjCNFvqSzEDLibQ4WCTebhIbt3KgEQYQ&sig2=gR3vElbGdefgDpcYEtvB2Q&bvm=bv.76247554,d.aWw

I'm getting pricing on this - if it's anything remotely reasonable I'm really
thinking about using this for tower sites. With 3 fiber feeds and 3 power feeds
I can use one power/fiber pair to each of the SAF Integra's, and use the other
one to go to a enclosure with power and a switch to connect to the APs'.

I'm trying to find out if I can get a small switch and a PacketFlux
Syncinjector stuffed into a 3M Tower Dome Closure:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UgxGCuNyXTtoxMVlxMVEVtQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Tower_Dome_Terminal_TDT_T_25_6RS

The combination seems like it would solve a lot of problems. It gives us one
cable up the tower and the cable fits properly into standard tower hangers. The
dome closure can be built on the ground with appropriate length cables to each
AP so that the whole thing can be assembled on the ground and then hoisted into
place so that the tower monkeys only have to plug things in.

The other nice part is if you are using contract tower crews the whole thing
looks just like installing a standard Remote Radio Unit (RRU) radio head, so
they should both not need a lot of retraining.

If we could get our radio manufacturers to start making equipment with SFP's
this would be even easier. That's a hint there Cambium.

Mark