Kade,

I can't speak on the fiber, because we have used a few different kinds over
the builds we have done. My favorite has been bend insensitive fiber. It is
small and can make the same turns the Ethernet and power can without
risking a break. It is also really thin and makes for easier movement when
securing the cable.

In terms of the PacketFlux gear in the air, if the site is done properly
and grounded, there shouldn't be any problems. I have only had to replace
two of them since we started building our larger sites out like this. The
list Gerard gave is missing two items I believe: breakers and fuses. More
often than not, the fuses on the ground are the ones that go. We have one
site where our box is 360ft on the tower. This site almost always suffers
some kind of issue in major lightning storms. It trips a breaker at the
base. The drive out is 20 minutes and worth while compared to having to
climb the tower when the storm is over.

We do not use UPSs anymore on the large deployments. The DC box stays on
the ground because the power line going up the tower is either fused or has
it's own DC breaker. We also have a site monitor at the base to monitor
voltage levels on the batteries and we can graph the stats to troubleshoot
in the future. Because we use a breaker or fuse in our DC system going from
the top to the bottom, it would be a pain to still have to climb to replace
a fuse if necessary.

Vince West
Tower Hand
Technical Support