From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Travis Johnson via Af
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:15 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Network Monitoring in the 2010's

Sterling,

This sounds like an easy task, but I can tell you as someone that is currently
developing software, and is starting December 1 to build a simple iPhone app,
software development is very expensive. My app is a pretty simple... easy to
use front-end with a cloud based database back-end... yet the quotes I have
gotten are $50,000 - $75,000. This is from 3 different development companies
all based in Utah. All of them are busy and each has 20+ full-time developers
working for them, so they have enough business and must not be totally out of
line on their quotes.

I said this 10+ years ago, and I'll say it again... customer service is the
only thing that makes you different than the big cable and telco companies.
Having a live person that can help people troubleshoot and fix issues is the
key to keeping people with your service. If you are just going to send them to
an app on their phones, you become the same as every other provider... and your
service becomes a commodity just like everyone else.

Travis