Two suggestions.

1) go to radio shack and get an ardunio starter kit.  May want to do this
even if you do number two.  This is the modern way to do this and you can
show both the schematic for i/o and the program.

2) I can do what you are describing with  four or so dpdt relays.   One for
each button, and one to reset the whole thing.  The timer is a bit more
tricky, maybe a 555, but I'd consider getting an delay relay as well.