Make something simple with 3 binary timers (http://www.radioshack.com/nte74ls163a-ic-ttl-binary-counter/55051075.html#q=counter&start=1).

So you would need an oscillator. You can make one with a couple of cross-coupled transistors or just use a couple of cross-connected flip-flips.

Feed the timer into each of the counters that is enabled by each switch plus the output of the previous counter. If the counter overflows before the next switch is pressed, then nothing happens.

That make sense?

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>