How am I harmed if someone is creating and selling stinger antennas without license.
That's a different animal. Presumably you lose a sale for every sale of the counterfeit unit. Unauthorized public performances might raise awareness of an artist's work and conceivable /increase/ sales. A radio station doesn't need license to play music on the air. The artists and recording companies recognize that being on the radio makes them more popular and thus helps them sell tickets and/or recordings. In theory, being on some Company's hold music should have the same effect.

Mind you....I do my best to follow the law. I even come to a complete stop at stop signs. I encourage customers to follow the law as well, especially when I'm speaking as an agent of my employer. I'm just pointing out that sometimes following the law feels silly.

On 10/2/2015 12:07 PM, ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
I guess they are not harmed if they don’t know they were harmed.
But that is a practical tangible physical answer.
The theoretical answer is someone copying the intellectual property is a “market replacement” and they have suffered financial harm, they were damaged. If they did not have access to the music (like we do now) other than going to the record store and buying the 45 RPM record they would not be able to get it. In those days the control of the property was pretty easy. Moreover, MOH is an offshoot of a public performance. Mazak got into hot water along with some of their customers in the early days of these IP wars too. The artist deserves to be compensated for the use of their creation. Just like a patent. How am I harmed if someone is creating and selling stinger antennas without license.
*From:* Adam Moffett <mailto:dmmoff...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Friday, October 2, 2015 9:41 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] New hold music for the customer facing asterisk IVR
I had the same issue with some PBX customers.

I found a website full of public domain music and suggested they pick from it. One customer was a church that recorded their own pianist playing some of those 18th century hymns that nobody owns anymore.

At the end of the day, if the customer told me to set up their Bob Marley CD as their hold music, then I did what they asked. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't stop him from peeing in it.....or something like that.

....in theory, how is an artist is damaged by MOH?