  From: Ken Hohhof
  To: af@afmug.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 12:49 PM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?

  If a customer insists on a recommendation, I say every router you can buy in
the store has problems, but the least problematic seems to be Netgear as long
as you get at least a 3000 series.  I have seen a high field failure rate on
the WNR2000, and they can die a slow lingering flakey death rather than just
falling over dead.  Probably a WNDR3700 if you want gigabit and 3400 if you
don’t.  Some customers get to the store and get a 4500 because it’s on sale or
$10 more.  I like having gigabit ports but many customers these days don’t have
a single wired device.  The Netgear routers come with the WiFi already secured,
they can be set to wireless access point mode, and they have a lifetime
warranty (but who is going to go through the trouble).  On the downside some
laptops with Intel 802.11ac WiFi refuse to play nice with the Netgears, and the
PPPoE default has to be changed from dial on demand.

  I will no longer sell routers to customers, many years of bad experiences.
But I will lease a managed Mikrotik (a nice one – typically a RB951G-2HnD or
RB2011) for $5/month including free replacement.  I won’t sell a Mikrotik to a
customer for them to manage unless the customer is an IT professional.

  This does mean I don’t have a dual band (much less 802.11ac) managed router
solution.  Given our rural customer base, the 2.4 only WiFi usually works out
better than dual band.  Occasionally I wish for dual band so we could segregate
some weak WiFi clients (like Dropcams) onto their own band.  Mikrotik doesn’t
seem to want to deal with getting equipment FCC approved in 5 GHz.

  Some of the routers customers have bought that have been problematic:
Cradlepoint, Securifi, Amped Wireless (at least the range extenders).