From: "Sorin Esanu" <so...@evox.ro>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 12:48:57 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Security cameras

Please compare the specs and see what they can do and cannot do.

As far as how it compares with Ubnt, I've tested as some point the unifi
video cameras and they were pretty bad as far as quality, lacking some
basic features (IR filter). It seemed to me like a beta product that
should have never be release to the public. As I understand they refined
it, but still, Hikvision is big, with a lot of experience in making just
video surveillance products. Even so, our Hikvision fleet serves us well
and I would not go with Ubnt.

There is also the issue with interoperability: Hikvision cameras are
supported on countless surveillance software and hardware (NVRs);
Hikvision NVRs are supporting countless other cameras (other
manufacturers) and even ONVIF and RTSP. That gives you the possibility
to install a 3rd party product, in case you need it. I don't know if you
can say that about Ubnt. Is that important? Well... if you have 1-2
cameras, probably no. When you go to larger projects, absolutely. Access
control system that interconnect with video surveillance, professional
analytics software, ONVIF support...

I like Ubnt as far as radios, but that's where it stops for me.