Hyperloyalty pays shit when things go sideways.  I will never give anyone
hyperloyalty again unless I am their DNA donor.

From: That One Guy /sarcasm
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2016 8:10 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: applying to walmart

Thats where i hit the "grey area" our other component is contract services,
general IT, one component of which is security cameras, we arent cost
effective, same with smb ptp, residential IT, all that. I technically dont have
a no compete with my employer, i signed a restrictive one with my previous
employer, it technically did not come with the transition when we split, and I
made a point of not doing any contract work in my name with the previous
partner for the duration of the no compete for that very reason. but, like the
previous partner told me when i signed it, in Illinois, all a no compete really
does is add however much hes willing to spend in court to the cost of my
startup

Ive turned down alot of side work to avoid conflict, just because i need steady
income.

(Im doing some bragging here) Heres a funny thing that recently happened, we
had a contract with a healthcare customer that ended up dissolving into two
separate entities, i handled the closeout, one entity didn't care, just started
from scratch, the other migrated. i worked with them closing out, making sure
systems moved, applicable data wasn't lost, licenses were replaced, ended up
being a really clean and smooth transition for the customer (they literally
closed out on a friday as one agency, opened on a monday as another, with no IT
glitch). I met with the owner of the IT company that took IT over for a
closeout lunch, it ended up being a 3 hour job interview, he wanted to hire me
on the spot. It ended up I had to decline because of my personal commitments to
my house ( I bought the one across from my parents, so i could help them age
out until they die)

Another of our customers who has always been a pseudo support contract I could
never get closed because every time I handed it off to our customer service,
they would screw it up has always asked me to handle their IT off the cuff. I
always had to decline because of my stupid loyalty to my company.

We recently lost that client to the same IT outfit that took over that split
contract. The client called me one day to do some closeout, then all of a
sudden told me he had a message from the other IT outfit telling me they would
cover my relocation if id come over to them. Made me feel kind of tall.

This is where that grey area screws me, I have no issue ITing out for anyone,
my only rule is I wont outsource to anyone my employer has touched in any way.
I screw myself because I have a good reputation and the majority of what would
be my target market has come to us, for me, but declined because of the final
details by ownership. I figure my hyper loyalty is karma for what i did to
fathers daughters in my younger years.

that was quite a rant, damn booze... I should probably go finish that walmart
app