Witness the power of AFMUG!

From: Dan Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 1:19 PM
To: mailto:af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] PMP450 vs. ePMP

Dear AFMUG,

Cambium Networks performed measurements of ePMP against a competitor recently
in 2.4 GHz with regard to Tx Power and RSSI.  This is what we found.

We set AP transmit power to 21 dBm.  This would allow for total EIRP of 36 dBm
assuming a 15 dBi antenna was used.

We measured actual transmit power out of each AP in 5 MHz steps from 2412 GHz
to 2467 GHz.  We found ePMP transmit power ranged from 20.05 to 20.78 dBm.  The
competitor AP transmit power ranged from 21.76 to 22.36 dBm.  The actual
difference in transmit power ranged from 1.14 dBm to 2.26 dBm with an average
1.84 dB.

We measured the actual RSSI at the AP from -95 dBm to -40 dBm in 5 dB steps.
ePMP reported values in the 0 to 1 dB higher range.  The competitor AP reported
values 5 to 6 dB higher than actual up to -65 dBm, 7 dB higher from -60 to -50
dBm, and 8 to 9 dB higher from -45 to -40 dBm.

It appears to us that transmit power should be increased by 2 dB on ePMP or
decreased by 2 dB on the competitor to get an equal comparison for a test and
deployment.  With regard to RSSI, a good test would be to compare actual MCS
used once the transmit power difference is corrected.

We also have optimized out transmit power control accuracy in the 3.0 release,
which is resulting in improved uplink transmit power.  We have release 3.0
available for limited trial if anyone is interested in trying this out on their
2.4 GHz ePMP network.  Please send me an email offline for this for this
software.

Daniel Sullivan

ePMP System Architecture and Software Manager