Much as it seems heavy-handed, Windows 7/8 systems auto-updating themselves
to Windows 10 (which then installs itself with all its
auto-updating/phone-home features turned on) is a significant measure
towards protecting the individual end user from themselves.

Or at least reducing the general number of millions of infected/trojaned
Windows PCs out there. I think Win10 by default installs itself with
Microsoft's antivirus services enabled?