Well here they are mainly DSL but do have fiber too.  Some wireless (reeaaaly
bad).

I hope they shoot this down.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com>
To: "af" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:46:42 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Bell Canada deregulating in areas

What you describe sounds l like what big telcos like AT&T have done over the
past 10 years in the US.  And much of this is regulated at the state level not
federal, although the current FCC seems to want to expand its regulatory turf.

AT&T for example would put in their hybrid/fiber UVerse system and stop selling
DSL to new customers.  It was partly their way of getting around federal
requirements that they resell unbundled copper loops, since they had persuaded
states this did not apply to "sub-loops".  Of course now they are pushing
DirecTV on new customers for the portion of the bundle, I'm not sure that
necessarily means satellite TV, in the long run maybe it means a DirecTV
streaming box fed by high speed Internet.  They have stomped the CLEC threat
out of existence, so maybe they are focusing back on their traditional enemy
the cable companies, or maybe just wanting to be a 100% wireless company.