When I read Dan's post I was reminded of this.

On 11/10/2016 12:41 PM, Dan Petermann wrote:
In a break with California with little time for either side to prepare,
California would be bankrupted almost immediately.

They import over 30% of their electricity. They would have to build new
power plants or pay for access.

They do not have the refinery capacity to produce their daily needs for
gasoline or diesel.

47% of their commodities are imported from other states.

Other states would be free to use a much greater percentage of the
Colorado river, this would devastate S. California cities as they get a
lot of their water from that river.

California needs the US more than we need them.