Say you have 9 settings from 10/90 up to 90/10. All APs are reporting frame
utilization back to a central controller. When half+1 of them are maxed on
upload or download, the controller tells them all to move up or down one
setting at some time slot well enough after all APs should have gotten the
message (or maybe require a confirmation). They all change ratios at that same
time slot. The controller waits some amount of time before deciding to move
again if necessary. It doesn't need to change per packet or even per second. If
it changed once a minute or once every five minutes, that would be far more
granularity than we have now.

If you're friendly with another WISP and you want to interconnect controllers
for the purpose of sharing ratio information, then great. Otherwise, rock on.

Implementation surely isn't easy, but the concept shouldn't be difficult.

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP