Well, I guess if they change out the socket when they change the meter, they
could put a big ass contactor in there.
Note the statement uses the future tense “will have remote switching
capabilities”.  Like cars will have the ability to fly...

From: Nate Burke
Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 10:34 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Smartmeter Security question

>From our Powerco
>https://www.comed.com/SmartEnergy/SmartMeterSmartGrid/Pages/FAQs.aspx

  "Will smart meters make it easier to turn electricity on and off when
customers move?
  Smart meters for residential customers will have remote switching
capabilities that can be used when a customer closes an account, then
reconnects when the customer starts a new account.

  One of the benefits of this remote switching capability is that ComEd can
provide electrical service to customers more quickly, after the customer has
contacted ComEd to initiate service. ComEd can also expedite the transfer of
electrical service when a customer moves from one location to another within
the ComEd service territory.

"

I read into that as 'we can turn you off for non-payment' as well.