The number of sites forcing you to use your email address as a login is a bad 
trend.

 

Two other things I hate:  password resets via email, and password hints.

 

FYI, I got a notice from VZW they are stopping use of last 4 digits of SSN as 
PIN.  Yes, that was very secure.  Like the doctors who only disclose your 
medical records to someone who knows your date of birth.  Or the pharmacy that 
only lets someone pick up my prescription if they know my address.  Surely no 
hacker can determine my SSN, date of birth, home address, or first pet’s name.

 

 

From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Josh Reynolds
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Email address

 

For those of you who think your email accounts or other website logins are fine 
and have never been hacked, I'd encourage you to check here:

 

https://haveibeenpwned.com

 

Once upon a time, with a different breed of hacker, emails and websites could 
be compromised for months or years before the breach was ever used. Even then 
the information used was on such small scale to only be noticed by an 
individual. The breaches we have now are child's play in their execution.

 

On Jan 11, 2017 11:06 AM, "George Skorup" <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

We followed the trend and gave everyone 6 months to move out. Dumped all 
customer accounts on the 1st. I think we've had 3-5 people throw a fit.

It just wasn't worth it anymore. ~80% of the accounts were abandoned and at 
quota. Accounts constantly broken into and used to send junk. And now that 
headache is gone.

On 1/11/2017 8:21 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

I probably can't send you email then.  I've given up on Yahoo blocking mail 
from my server.  Nobody else, just Yahoo.  I don't think anyone is processing 
the unblocking requests anymore, and sacrifices to the SPF, DKIM and DMARC gods 
don't seem to  help.  Oh, well, I've just lumped Yahoo in with AOL, the emails 
can't be very important.


-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> ] On Behalf 
Of Bill Prince
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:33 AM
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Email address

All the leaks reported were at least 2 years ago. I've since changed my 
passwords, and I don't put important stuff in email without precautions anyway. 
I always advise people that email is not secure.


bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 1/10/2017 10:07 PM, Josh Reynolds wrote:

I'm guessing yours was involved in the recent leak? :)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:43 PM, Bill Prince <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

My personal email has been on yahoo since 1994. Kind of amazing to me.

Don't give me any snide remarks about yahoo. It's actually worked
pretty well; I even have emails going back that far.


bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>


On 1/10/2017 4:48 PM, Travis Johnson wrote:

Hi,

I just realized today that I have had the same email address for
18.5 years. I'm on every spam and mailing list ever created. LOL

Travis

 

 

Reply via email to