OSPF didn't lose the neighbor, but you still want to fix the ethernet issue.

One thing that could be an issue is if you want OSPF to fail over to a secondary path. If the interface goes down, then the router knows instantly that something is wrong and convergence can start right away. If the path is down while the interface stays up, then the router has to wait for hello packets to time out before it's aware of the issue.

The default dead timer is 40 seconds, so the "it's down but I don't know yet" condition has to last at least that long before the router takes action.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Steve Jones" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
To: "af@afmug.com" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: 7/19/2017 3:03:11 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] flapping ethernet port ospf workaround

if this doesn't harm anything, I'm thinking I may make this the standard, its flapped 24 times since I put it in, not a single ospf drop

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Chris Wright <ch...@velociter.net> wrote:
I’ve had to run OSPF on a bridge in a pinch, and so long as you don’t make any live changes to the bridge (adding/removing interfaces), the Mikrotik won’t mind. Just remember to set your static OSPF interfaces (if you have any) accordingly. Same goes for MPLS – LDP Interfaces if you’re using it. If you’re thinking it’ll be like this for longer than a week, leave yourself plenty of documentation to backtrack properly. Nothing like coming back to it three months later and trying to remember what you did!

Chris Wright

Network Administrator