The problem has always been complexity. If that hadn't been a problem the
paths to achieve AI - even a general AI - would be so numerous that it
would just be a normal programming project. It might take 10 or 20 years to
fully develop the first good models. As far as Artificial Soul or
Artificial Consciousness or Artificial Essence of Life. I don't even think
that stuff is relevant.
Jim Bromer