Without neural networks, a symbolic approach wouldn't be effective. My view
is that, depending on the definition of what "symbolic approach" means in
the context of AGI, in the least both such operational schemas would be
required to achieve the level of systems abstraction that would satisfy a
scientifically-sound (transferable) form of human intelligence. By
implication, they would have to be seamlessly integrated. Anyone here
working on such an integration?