Josh> On Saturday 16 June 2007 07:20:27 pm Matt Mahoney wrote:
>> --- Bo Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> > I haven't kept up with this thread.  But I wanted to counter the
>> idea of a > simple ordering of painfulness.
Josh> ....
>> Can you give me an example?

Josh> Anyone who has played a competitive sport can tell you that
Josh> there are lots of different kinds of pain, and that some are
Josh> "good" and some are "bad", and some are just obnoxious but to be
Josh> overcome. You can't succeed at any level without being able to
Josh> supress pain for higher goals, but you won't last long if you
Josh> ignore the wrong kind.

I claim that it is the very fact that you are making decisions about
whether to supress pain for higher goals that is the reason you are
conscious of pain. Your consciousness is the computation of a
top-level decision making module (or perhaps system). If you were not
making decisions waying (nuanced) pain against higher goals,
you would not be conscious of the pain.

Josh> Even a simplistic modular model of mind can allow for pain
Josh> signals to the various modules which can be different in kind
Josh> depending on which module they are reporting to.

Josh> Josh

Josh> options, please go to:
Josh> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;